[afnog] SRv6

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Dec 12 07:37:57 UTC 2018

On 12/Dec/18 09:32, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Yeah – I get that – but to what advantage is what Im trying to understand.
>

> SR-MPLS vs SRv6 – the only difference between the two is that in one
> case you are using a label stack on the outside of the packet – in the
> other you are encoding in EH.  If you encode in EH – you introduce
> packets with variable length headers that create ASIC issues and other
> issues – vs – simply handling a label stack.
>

> Everything else – the rsvp-te, the ldp, all that other crap –
> disappears both ways – so why would anyone want to switch the labels
> to EH – whats the rationale behind it – that’s what I don’t understand

The claim is that since the EH being used in SRv6, you can have 128-bit
sized SID's, while with SR-MPLS, you have just 32-bit sized SID's.

The extra "space" means that you can now do more things with SRv6 than
just routing, e.g., the first 64 bits would be used for routing, then
next 32 bits used to impose some action on the traffic, and the final 32
bits used to include some additional information. In summary, the claim
if you can add more "network programmability (yuck!)" into the deployment.