[afnog] Datacenters in our region & CPU security flaws

Loganaden Velvindron logan at hackers.mu
Thu Jun 14 19:12:28 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I've gone through the Intel FPU security issue after reading this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/13/intel_lazy_fpu_state_security_flaw/

It appears that there are other upcoming issues. I am aware of hosting
providers in our region who have servers that are affected. According
to a rumor, Tier-1 providers had already fixed the issue, since 2-3
weeks.

When meltdown and spectre hit the scene at the beginning of 2018,
Tier-1 customers were given priority. See here:
https://www.itwire.com/security/81338-handling-of-cpu-bug-disclosure-incredibly-bad-openbsd-s-de-raadt.html

Linode and other tier-2 customers got together to work things out
during meltdown/spectre on slack. I was wondering if datacenter
operators/sysadmins felt the need to do the same here for our region ?

I'm aware of one local datacenter operator who has been complaining
privately that despite paying for support, his vendors aren't
communicative about the Lazy FPU security flaw.

What do others think ? Are there people in our region who are not
under NDA and are willing to help small & medium datacenter
operators/sysadmins ?

Kind regards,
//Logan
C-x-C-c