[afnog] Internet Exchange Point and legal demands

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Oct 15 16:51:23 UTC 2018

On 15/Oct/18 18:27, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just read that DE-CIX has been fighting legal requests to allow
> tapping into their networks.
>
> See it here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/15/network_roundup_week_ending_oct_15/
>
> Is this a common request made to IXPs ?

What common... fighting tapping by the gubbermint, or fighting legal
tapping by the gubbermint?

It is not unreasonable to expect that gubbermints will issue requests to
tap networks, be they exchange points or regular commercial service
providers. When gubbermints get clever enough to realize that exchange
points are a major infrastructure that carries plenty of juicy data, it
won't be long before they come knocking.

The problem any major international exchange point has is they stand to
lose a lot of business of the local gubbermint under which they are
incorporated tries to pull this. What the gubbermint fails to realize is
that there are tons of other nations running their traffic through that
exchange point, and that this is a source of good revenue for said
exchange point (and by extension, the local tax base).

While the gubbermint's intentions may be nationally self-serving, the
global impact risks the very fabric of that operation, and the reason it
has been a success (and by extension, the local tax base).