[afnog] Internet Exchange Point and legal demands

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Wed Oct 17 02:12:48 UTC 2018

On 15.10.2018 18:27, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've just read that DE-CIX has been fighting legal requests to allow
> tapping into their networks.
>
> See it here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/15/network_roundup_week_ending_oct_15/
>
> Is this a common request made to IXPs ?

DE-CIX lost in the highest administrative court which has to deal with
the intelligence services resp. its supervisory authority, the
Federal Ministry of the Interior (see [0] for a comprehensive report;
sorry German only).

Now DE-CIX went to the highest court, the Federal Constitutional Court.

Being able to tap at DE-CIX must be like being in cockaigne for
intelligence services ...

Arnold

[0]
https://netzpolitik.org/2018/bnd-vor-dem-bundesverwaltungsgericht-massenueberwachung-am-de-cix-rechtswidrig/