[afnog] Segment Routing

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Apr 18 16:02:31 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I figured I’d share this article I wrote as some might find it interesting.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/srv6-why-we-want-andrew-alston/

With the work in the SR domain starting to come to the forefront and the large scale push we are seeing from vendors in this regard – in particular in the SRv6 section, we realized that in our view, SRv6 is coming – love it – hate it – whichever.  With that in mind – after a fairly deep look at SRv6 in its original form – and after reading the proposed enhancements in the drafts in this article – we’ve come to the conclusion that – SRv6+ is critical, because we’d rather have a standard that we can live with and doesn’t impose a potential 19% traffic overhead – than one we are stuck with on the day when this technology becomes tied to other services overlaid on top of it.

If anyone wants to know more about SR and whats happening that field, we’d also be happy to share more – so feel free to  drop an email for those interested

Thanks

Andrew