[afnog] CONNECTING TWO PBX OVER THE ASA FIREWALL

Tomslin Samme-Nlar mesumbeslin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 02:42:32 UTC 2019

Hi David,

Generally, you need to open up the UDP port range (16384 - 32767) that the
media (RTP) will be delivered on, in addition to the SIP signaling ports
you have opened. And generally, this port would be random for each session
but I know some UAs are able to negotiate specific ports, when configured
to.
Assuming you have opened up the RTP ports correctly on your firewall, your
mention of NAT sets off many bells. SIP doesn't like NAT very much.
Firewalls generally find it hard to match the RTP traffic to the SIP
traffic when NAT is involved. In fact, your description of the issue sounds
a lot like NAT issues but could be something else too like codec
negotiations. But assuming it is NAT transversal, you may want to implement
one of the solutions recommended in this IETF informational draft  =>
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipping-nat-scenarios-15

Cheers,

Tomslin
Fingerprint: 4D72 D735 DE42 D9FA 2453 8784 3C05 E338 5BBB 1D5C