[afnog] IPAM - with history?

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Thu Mar 7 19:43:37 UTC 2019

On 3/7/19 3:54 AM, Frank Habicht wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Frank,

> at $dayjob we're using NetDot [1] as IP address management tool, and it
> has several features I really like (so big "Thanks" to the authors):
> - hierarchical containers that contain other subnets or containers
> - auto-discovery, going through all devices, finding subnets used
>   [enabling you to find where 20.20.20.1/30 was configured!!]
> - and of course it knows 128-bit addresses and discovers them
> But it seems its development is not that active any more.

Development was minimal for some time. Carlos (the main author) has been
busy (like all of us).

You can add issues (including feature requests) at:

https://github.com/cvicente/Netdot/issues

One nice bit of news - You can now install Netdot on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in
a reasonable manner. Carlos updated the Netdot manual with details on
doing this:

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/cvicente/Netdot/blob/master

(See Install section).

You can use our sample Netdot install lab at:

https://nsrc.org/activities/agendas/en/nmm-5-days/netmgmt/en/netdot/exercises-netdot.html

For some ideas and examples about what you might do next once Netdot is
installed.

> Now I have 2 more needs arising:
> 1. VRF awareness: assigning subnets to VRFs (/RDs), allowing overlapping
>     IP in discrete VRFs
> 2. history awareness / archiving:
>     keeping records of IP or subnet use over time
>

> Which IPAM systems have those ?

I'm following answers as well as am most interested in people's
experience around both your needs Frank.

Cheers,
	- Hervey

> If open source possible, strongly preferred.
> And if there's any possibility to run through the list of known devices
> and find all connected subnets and specific IPs on interfaces, that will
> be very much valued.
>
> What do the good people here recommend?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank
>
> [1] http://netdot.uoregon.edu/

Hervey Allen      Assistant Director, Network Startup Resource Center
hervey at nsrc.org   http://nsrc.org/ : http://facebook.com/nsrc.org
GPG Fingerprint:  AC08 31CB E453 6C65 2AB3 4EDB CEEB 5A74 C6E5 624F