[afnog] [Community-Discuss] Updates on the misappropriation of IPv4 resources

thomas brenac thomas at brenac.eu
Fri Dec 18 11:04:13 UTC 2020

..and the worse is that with the ongoing Inter-RiR transfer policy plan
in discussion these stolen subnets will be one day transferred / sold at
higher value to another RIR and no one will then be able to do anything.

my 2 cents

On 18/12/2020 01:10, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> Thank you for your kind words of encouragement Arnaud.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems that AFRINIC is still operating in the mode
> of attempting to suppress evidence, information, and any comments
> which might be in the least bit ctitical of the current leadership
> of the organization.
>
> Thus, it is a good thing that I elected to cross post my comments also
> here on the AFNOG mailing list, which is not something that current
> AFRINIC management can directly and unilaterally censor, I guess.
>
> If however one takes a look at the December archives for the AFRINIC
> community-discuss mailing list, then you will notice that my last
> message posted here, which was also cross-posted to that very relevant
> mailing list, has been suppressed and censored by AFRINIC.  That is
> certainly one way to try to prevent the truth and the real bad news
> from getting out to the AFRINIC membership, but it is ineffective,
> and only makes the current AFRINIC leadership look that much more
> inept and/or complicit.
>
> And please note that according to what I have read online about
> AFRINIC history, this is not the first time the management and/or
> the board have tried to sweep matters under the carpet, and suppress
> the evidence of their own ineptitude or malfeasance by just unilaterally
> censoring the AFRINIC mailing lists in whatever way suits them, and
> their agenda, at the moment.
>
> You here have all now read what I wrote, I hope.  My message was
> pointed, direct, and blunt about remaining open issues and remaining
> apparently stolen AFRINIC blocks, as well as the various specific
> involved parties.  This information and the associated hard evidence
> on which it is based has not been previously made public and I made
> it public only as a service to the AFRINIC community. I did not do this
> because I have any axe to grind.  I have -zero- financial involvement
> with AFRINIC or with AFRINIC number resource assets.  My goal from
> the very beginning of my 18 month AFRINIC investigation was only to
> try to see to it that AFRINIC number resources do in fact get
> distributed, as they should be, openly and honestly, to *Africans*,
> and *not* to modern-day "robber baron" colonialists who only seek to
> mine valuable assets from the African continent, and leave gaping
> holes in the ground and impoverished people in their wake.  And I have
> quite certainly been even-handed about this. I don't care if the
> theives are from India, from China, or from my own country, the
> United States.  I would like to see them all stop victimizing the
> African people, and I would also like to see the African people stop
> allowing themselves to be victimized and exploited by these modern
> 21st century colonialists.
>
> So anyway, yes, I often speak frankly and bluntly, and some people may
> on occasion take offense at that.  But other than some over-sensitive
> hurt feelings, why should the new and never before publicized evidence
> [...]

Thomas BRENAC
https://www.brenac.eu
+33686263575
Registered IPv4 Broker by RIPE NCC, ARIN, APNIC and LACNIC