[afnog] 1st Reminder - AIS 2020 - AfNOG ANNOUNCEMENT - KINSHASA - DRC (ENGLISH)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed Mar 11 10:55:46 UTC 2020

I suspect that the situation will be completely different in two month.
Far worse.

I've been participating in ICANN-67 (Virtual) and although not perfect -
the job is getting done extremely well so far. Zoom seems to be working
very well. So far - the biggest meeting I have personally experienced
has been 187 or so people (ALAC - DoH & DoT discussions - yesterday
evening). My biggest issue is every meeting time is in Cancún, Quintana
Roo, Mexico [UTC-5] - local time. The Meetings have a virtual day in
that time zone from about 10:00 to 17:00. Despite adding that time zone
to my Mobile - it would have been easier I think to simply use UCT/GMT
times.

If we do run this as a Remote Only meeting - can we please use CAT -
*Central African* Time. That way - people are either +2 (Mauritius) or
-2 (Nigeria) hours from CAT (not sure if anyone works on -3 CAT/-1 GMT
?) ... and to perhaps run meetings from 10:00 CAT to no later than 18:00
CAT.

I think this would also end up saving a small fortune in Hotel room
bills & flights - etc.