[afnog] AIS 2020 - POSTPONEMENT

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:47:32 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Hope this email will find y'all in good health.

Please see my comments embedded below...

<mailto:nancy at ghana.com>>:
> Dear All,
>
> Good afternoon.

Dear Nancy,

...i have received this email well, with thanks, but i'm not getting
exactly
how/why/whether you have postponed the AIS and what are the direct
consequences of such decisions.

> On 16 March 2020, AfNOG, AFRINIC and the Local Host (ISPA-DRC) had another
> meeting to re-assessthe Corona Viruspandemic as well as logistic issues.
>
> Unfortunately we concluded that a change of plans was mandatory to
safeguard
> the health of our members, community and staff.

Agreed !

> Thus, we agreed that it is best to postpone the AIS 2020  Workshop &
> Conference to a later date.

...so you think it's best to postpone the Internet Africa Summit?

Can you explain, please?

> We will continue to monitor the situation and

How are you doing that, please?

...instead of doing the work of others (same to say: doing nothing), it
might be better to take
time to evaluate several scenario about the Remote Meeting (still
ignored! why ?) option.

Remember, this whole regional event is about promoting the Internet in
AFRINIC Service region.
...so you have a great opportunity to promote the Internet in this region.
Don't waste it, please.

> adopt precautionary measures to ensure everyone’s well-being.

Frankly, maybe itstime to start to thinkingof decentralization +
federation in this NOG's
regional event context. What i'm saying is that, the AfNOG can live
better if it starts to
considering to check-upliving status of their constituencies (children)
sub-regional and
country(code)NOG.

...what to do with in this particular, pandemic, context ?

One of the measuretookby almost all the Government around the world is :
no gatherings of
more than fifty (50) persons.
So, working with local NOGs (or NOG's Organizers) would permit to
appropriately address the local gathering
limitation concern (for connecting active local AIS Hubs
<https://www.cmnog.cm/dokuwiki/IdeasAndProjects/Ideas/PPMhub
<https://www.cmnog.cm/dokuwiki/IdeasAndProjects/Ideas/PPMhub>>)... A
distribution of ccAIShub's PoPs (< 50) could be easily managed with the
help
of local NOGs.

...i can go further : you can ask support from Af-Governments, to ease
the work of ccNOGs :-/

> Further, we will communicate  decisions taken in consultation with all
> stakeholders, and will advise on new AIS 2020 dates and

Please who are those stakeholders ?
...are you trying to kindly state that, there is an other decisional
place, maybe with people
not subscribed to this mailinglistand where the final/real decision to
postpone will be more
assessedand (eventually???) taken ?

Please clarify.

> the way forward in due course.

OK, please can you share the organizational structure of this NOG ?
Thanks.

> Please stay safe.

...i wish you more, in this Internet remote thing, dear.

Shalom,
--sb.

--
Best Regards !