[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Jul 4 10:55:23 UTC 2021

On 7/4/21 12:32, Paul Simon wrote:

> I am doing a research on XLAT646 deployment,

Assume you mean 464XLAT, yes?

> currently considering this as a solution to v4 depletion.
> I am therefore wondering if there is anyone who has had success in
> deploying this technology in production. I am mostly interested in
> what vendor they used and how the customer side translation was
> happening whether it was on customer CE or some aggregate node in the
> access network.

Globally, T-Mobile in the U.S. have had large success deploying this
across their mobile customers. One of the largest-scale 464XLAT
deployments that has been documented.

The main challenge you will get in the fixed-line world is CLAT support.

I'm not sure of any source of truth that does a deep-dive on all major
and unknown CPE vendors that have CLAT support. Last time I checked,
outside of Android, iOS and Windows, it wasn't that great.

Tore Anderson wrote a CLAT implementation for Linux:

     https://github.com/toreanderson/clatd/

Not sure how well it works as I don't run Linux.

On the PLAT side, all major router vendors have decent support,
especially if they already had NAT64/DNS64 experience.

Someone with more clue can chime in.