[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Jul 4 18:03:14 UTC 2021

On 7/4/21 19:51, Frank Habicht wrote:

> the vCPE sounds like a good idea, but I'm lost about one thing:
> how do you separate one customer's end devices from another customer's
> end devices?
> Different (802.1q) VLANs?
> because i see someone reach that limit fast.

Two typical ways you can multi-tenant customers on the vCPE; VLAN's or VM's.

Q-in-Q can give you significantly more scale, but you are more likely to
run out of hardware resources before you even get to having that problem.

Depending on how robust your want your vCPE to be, you may also run into
licensing problems with vendors, where licenses are not only based on
features, but also how much bandwidth you can handle in the forwarding
plane of the VM.

All in all, I still feel that if you are looking to avoid truck-rolling
software features into customers' homes and businesses with the least
amount of pain, vCPE's are very handy.