[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Jul 5 11:16:11 UTC 2021

I think this dialogue is wonderful. I remember years back at an AfriNIC
conference(?) when Jordi showed off in a live demonstration then,
opening and closing his window blinds/curtains in his house. He was
physically in the room and his house was far, far away.

Best I've done so far is adding two AC/DC Wifi timer switches to my Pool
Pump and Pool Light. I can now remotely control both but usually just
allow the timer to operate. The Blue LED pool light comes on at Sunset
(i.e. - it changes) and off at 8pm. Before the installation - I hardly
ever bothered switching the pool light on because it was a PITA to do.
Now it's on every evening. The AC/DC switches seem to be IPv4 only though 🙁
Garden watering system is IPv4 only too...

Also installed a Victron Multiplus 48/5000/70 (Solar PV, 10KWH of LFP -
etc) to alleviate "load shedding" (I live in South Africa) - which is
also remotely accessible, no IPv6 either (any Dutch friends out there?
eurodns.com??)

@Jordi - regarding Mikrotik, perhaps offer your help again.

@Mark - if the solutions used in home automation include IP connectivity
- especially IPv6, simply saying what is available can add value to all
of us. Am sure others would be interested to hear, learn and
propagate... and potentially encourage the manufacturers to support IPv6
in their products if there is enough noise.