[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Mon Jul 5 13:55:29 UTC 2021

On 7/5/21 13:45, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> [speaking for myself]
>
> Most IoT stuff is still untested over v6. IoT developers aka SoC
> embedded engineers have pretty tight deadlines to ship devices over to
> the market. So non-essential things like testing if v6 works or does
> address parsing work over v6 is often ignored.
>
> The revenue stream is built around analytics collected in the IoT
> vendor cloud which is still mostly v4. I could be wrong.

You're absolutely right, that's why I said to Jordi that I am not
getting too excited with seeing vendors implementing RFC 7788 (HNCP).
It's kind of like what happened with IPTV vs. VoD. Despite Multicast
being "more efficient", VoD won out. Funny, eh...

All of these "IoT" devices send data into the cloud. In fact, many of
them actually only allow you to operate them this way, with no direct
access to the device on site. So without an Internet connection, you
can't make any changes (previous saved changes persist, though).

One of the issues I have with carbonTRACK, for example, is that they are
too busy meeting deadlines, they don't even support assignment of static
IP addresses on an Ethernet port. When I asked them about it, they said
it was not on their roadmap, and only supported DHCP. You can imagine
all the encouragement that gave me to ask about IPv6 :-).

But my water heating system also suffers from the same problem. They
cannot support static IP addressing over the wi-fi module. When I asked
them for this, they promised to develop it. A year later, it's not high
on their to-do list, and I can't blame them, if I'm honest. Small
outfit, desperate to get orders out with good basic functionality. For
systems that will likely be operated mostly within the confines of a
home LAN, the vendors can't make the connection between IPv4 exhaustion
and their future.

Like I've been saying, most people don't care about this. I cared about
static IP addressing because this is my home electricity, and I want to
remove the possibility of any problems. But don't expect Jack and
Svetlana to go caring about this, especially if they don't even know
what a kWh means :-). And to be honest, they don't need to...