[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Mon Jul 5 16:25:07 UTC 2021

On 2021-07-05 16:02:37 (+0800), Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 7/5/21 09:46, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>> My home is different ... clearly ... I just deployed 10G dual MM
>> fiber links thru different paths among several floors and have over
>> 300 VLANs, several APs, hundreds of devices (including all kind of
>> IoT sensors and actuators), etc. It is a complete "lab".
>>
>> I understand that in many regions, this is not yet common, but it
>> will come, as it is happening already in Europe, NA and some AP
>> countries.
>
> It is happening here, if you are Nishal, Mark, Andrew, Edrich, Edward,
> Ben, e.t.c. But just like you, Randy, Philip, Job, Owen, e.t.c., we
> are not representative of the wider demographic in any of our regions.
> I can tell you, exactly, just how much electricity every circuit
> breaker in my house is currently using on a per-second basis; I don't
> ever expect that to become the norm at scale.

I wonder if I should feel inadequate for having only seven VLANs in my
two-bedroom apartment. :-)

> Having a ton of devices and sensors in the home does not automatically
> mean that they would be connected on separate VLAN's. This goes for
> all regions in the world.
>
> It is very likely that any new CPE's being deployed will have the
> capability of supporting multiple VLAN's, and if it all goes to plan,
> even a CLAT. But that doesn't mean that the customers will actually
> know about all that, or even care enough to figure out how to enable
> it.
>
> All this stuff is great, but we need to remember how simple users
> approach the problem. They just want things to work, and can't be
> asked to deal with all the fuss. That's our problem.

So this is already happening.  Or at least it's happening in Hong Kong.

The Wi-Fi scan list in my living room shows a roughly equal number of
"FOOBAR" and "FOOBAR-GUEST" ESSIDs.  There are several different
spellings of FOOBAR but they all translate to "cheap ISP CPE, settings
not touched by customer".

The CPE my ISP tried to install for me has a friendly "guest Wi-Fi" QR
code sticker in the box.

Casual inspection suggests IPv6 prefix delegation is taking place and
the guest Wi-Fi is a separate layer 2 broadcast domain.  I never paid
much attention to the legacy IP address.  I'm pretty sure there's
routable IPv4 rather than XLAT though.  I never used my ISP's CPE and I
don't make a habit of spending too much time staring at tcpdump when I'm
invited to dinner by less technical friends. :)

>> If the African ISPs take advantage of choosing a good CPE *now* which
>> is almost the same price, they are making their investment "more"
>> future proof, specially if that means saving IPv4 addresses and using
>> that money for deploying IPv6 with better CPEs.
>
> You need to remember that in Africa, the majority of users that access
> the Internet do so on or through their mobile phone. Fixed line
> services are on the rise, but they pale in comparison to mobile-based
> connectivity.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a (probably small) decrease in fixed line
broadband services in some parts of the world.  People who don't have
own huge televisions or smart hair dryers or toasters or whatever have
no need for fixed line broadband.  They watch YouTube on their phablet
on 5G.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps