[afnog] XLAT646 deployment

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Jul 6 09:28:36 UTC 2021

On 7/6/21 05:02, Philip Paeps wrote:

> That's outrageous!  Surely nobody allows their rice cooker and their
> toothbrush in the same broadcast domain?  I am shocked!  I am also a
> terrible troll and not at all serious. :-)

On a serious note, though, there are a number of "automation" things
that I run which assume a homogenous broadcast domain, and can't be
asked to cross Layer 3 fences to discover each other.

> An unscientific study of the Cheap Chinesium broadcasting beacons in
> this building suggests that the -5G convention may slowly be on its
> way out.  I actually see more -2.4G suffixes than -5G.

Odd, wonder why?

I shudder to see what will happen when 6GHz starts shipping :-\...

> Amusingly, one of my neighbours has a LinksysXXXX_5GHz network
> broadcast by an AP that's using ASUSTeK BSSID.  Looking at a Wi-Fi
> scan list always raises more questions than it answers.

I miss my condo days in KL :-).

> In some ways, it's easier to roll out a mobile network than a fixed
> line network.

I remember it vividly - MTN (Uganda's 2nd mobile operator at the time)
launched in Uganda, in 1998. They estimated to sell 5,000 SIM cards on
that day. They sold them all, alright, but needed to quickly ship in
another 95,000 just to deal with the launch-day demand.

Wireless is certainly easier to build than wire. If only it could scale
as well.

>   I would not be shocked if fibre to the last mile ends up not happening.

I know that this was one of the reasons Google killed their Kansas
project, considering last mile wireless as a better approach. Then 5G
comes along, FWIW.

In some countries, last mile providers are deploying SP WiFi around the
cities as the solution. It still has a scaling problem.

> Especially if the company laying the fibre also operates a mobile
> network.

The direction an operator takes will be determined by how much pressure
4G comes under. This may be artificially delayed by the high prices of
mobile data. Mobile operators are cash-cows, so they can afford to burn
several millions every month to roll out fibre, if for nothing else than
to tick a box.

If it were me, I'd spend the cash on an IPv6 rollout first, but what do
I know :-)...

> Also spare a thought for the people who have fixed line broadband for
> their television but never bother to scan the little Wi-Fi barcode
> with their phone... :)

The options are several... Clara will follow the path of least resistance.