[afnog] Another Perspective - Kentik's View on the Facebook Outage

Paul McMaster paulm at faircape.co.za
Thu Oct 7 08:50:06 UTC 2021

No DNS records were removed. Certain prefix's were withdrawn globally by an
automation config mistake. By design their BGP for the DNS prefix's were
withdrawn after X amount of time as their core network was not visible.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 10:37, Markus Akena Wipfler <markus.wipfler at gmail.com>
wrote:

> All good and well but no mention of disappearance of the actual DNS
> records on their authoritative DNSes :) during that period. I don't think
> it's per design, eg remove DNS record if prefix X is not seen in routing
> table.
>
> BR,
> Markus
>
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2021, 7:36 am Mark Tinka, <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>

>> https://www.kentik.com/blog/facebooks-historic-outage-explained/?mkt_tok=ODY5LVBBRC04ODcAAAF_9diyPhC6WFsJNFpS4z2ggF-DWEc6FksyD3aW8B3am5tUvtTOJDYl2MIgMdsmmqOLTL-BpUugbQHAIXCT677LE0OxHM8Dy-mqRorJQXnAjg4
>>
>> Mark.

<https://goo.gl/nemKAL>

Paul McMaster
IT Manager
Direct: (021) 815 5792 | Switchboard: (021) 815 5700
paulm at faircape.co.za

*Please, in the interests of security, be advised that, Faircape will never
send you an e-mail advising you of a change of our banking details.Such
emails could be an attempt to defraud you by asking you to make payment to
a fraudulent bank account. Do not act on such an email, please contact the
writer immediately.*

Committed to excellence
PROPERTY MANAGEMENT | SALES & LEASING | COMMUNICATIONS | SURVEILLANCE
SERVICES | UTILITY MANAGEMENT & ENERGY SOLUTIONS | RETIREMENT HOLDINGS |
HEALTHCARE

--

Disclaimer

This e-mail and its contents are subject to a disclaimer (the
"Disclaimer"). This Disclaimer can be viewed at
www.faircape.co.za/wp-admin/email_disclaimer.pdf
<http://www.faircape.co.za/wp-admin/email_disclaimer.pdf> This Disclaimer
forms part of the content of this e-mail in terms of section 11 of the
Electronic Communications and Transactions Act No. 25 of 2002. If you are
unable to access the weblink kindly send an e-mail to
legaladvisor at faircape.co.za <mailto:legaladvisor at faircape.co.za> and
request that a copy of the Disclaimer be e-mailed to you. Use of this
e-mail is prohibited when received in error. In such circumstances please
destroy immediately and notify the sender.