[afnog] Another Perspective - Kentik's View on the Facebook Outage

Markus Akena Wipfler markus.wipfler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:42:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

correct, no actual NS records were changed. This was a wrong assumption on
my part.

The withdrawal of unreachable prefixes is common practice for any anycast
service.

In terms of solution, you could use 3rd party for some of your aDNS
infrastructure IPs. You would then also need to have reachability of your
DCs via 3rd party IP space or host your services in 3rd party
infrastructure. I assume FB looked at this option and saw more benefits in
being in total control of their infrastructure...  trust vs benefit....

They could consider at least having some OOB reachability via an
independent path, so to at least get into their boxes.

What I still can't wrap my head around is that all datacenters globally
stopped being reachable at once. I assume each DC has each own dedicated IP
space. So if a script would remove advertisements of IP prefix of DC1 that
aDNs that uses DC1 would remove it's Anycast prefix announcement, but
shouldn't DC2 still be reachable? Perhaps therein lies the solution, limit
your automation tools to one DC ....

BR,
Markus