[afnog] Another Perspective - Kentik's View on the Facebook Outage

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Oct 8 23:59:13 UTC 2021

On 10/9/21 00:43, Markus Akena Wipfler wrote:

> I would call it a general problem of globalisation. Connecting
> everyone everywhere brings it's set of challenges. To satisfy an ever
> growing global demand we need complex tools that we humans operate
> with a brain that for the majority of human existence was used to deal
> with local issues. I believe we need to get back to focusing more on
> local markets and providing local solutions. Ofc stupidity can occur
> anywhere but at a local level the impact is only felt locally.

Two issues here, really:

  * Trying to deliver a service for free to eyeballs at scale will
    require massive over-engineering, and the associated risk. If the
    service provided better reliability through a nominal subscription,
    would you pay for it? The fact that the horse has left the barn,
    notwithstanding?

  * The incessant need to keep growing, as a mechanism to report
    corporate and self-worth, is likely to dumb local concentration to a
    reasonable degree. The Internet is the ideal platform for this
    (problem).