[afnog] Madagascar and Cote D'ivoire mentioned in this Google Security blog post

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Sun May 29 16:12:53 UTC 2022

Dear AfNOG-er,

Hope this email finds you in good health!

Le dimanche 29 mai 2022, Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> https://blog.google/threat-analysis-group/protecting-
> android-users-from-0-day-attacks/
>
> Interesting read.

Hi Logan,
Thanks for sharing, brother!

Indeed!
Please, allow me to paste a piece of it below:

<paste>

"We assess with high confidence that these exploits were packaged by a
single commercial surveillance company, Cytrox, and sold to different
government-backed actors who used them in at least the three campaigns
discussed below. Consistent with findings from CitizenLab, we assess likely
government-backed actors purchasing these exploits are operating (at least)
in Egypt, Armenia, Greece, Madagascar, Côte d’Ivoire, Serbia, Spain and
Indonesia.

The 0-day exploits were used alongside n-day exploits as the developers
took advantage of the time difference between when some critical bugs were
patched but not flagged as security issues and when these patches were
fully deployed across the Android ecosystem. Our findings underscore the
extent to which commercial surveillance vendors have proliferated
capabilities historically only used by governments with the technical
expertise to develop and operationalize exploits.

Seven of the nine 0-days TAG discovered in 2021 fall into this category:
developed by commercial providers and sold to and used by government-backed
actors. TAG is actively tracking more than 30 vendors with varying levels
of sophistication and public exposure selling exploits or surveillance
capabilities to government-backed actors."

</paste>

__
https://blog.google/threat-analysis-group/protecting-android-users-from-0-day-attacks/#:~:text=We%20assess%20with%20high%20confidence%20that,surveillance%20capabilities%20to%20government%2Dbacked%20actors
.

> Can anyone comment on this ?

...i think, it's time for our government's agencies to
 adopt a FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software)
 mindset; for a start...imho!

Shalom,
--sb.

--