[afnog] Submarine cable issues - WACS and SAT3

Willy Manga mangawilly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:33:18 UTC 2023

Hi.

Please tell me that not all the submarine cable follow exactly the same
physical path like  WACS and SAT3 if I can trust this article [1] . They
are both somewhere in the Congo canyon.

The same cables suffered other issues but this time in Cote d'Ivoire
(SAT3) and Nigeria (WACS) based on that tweet from CAMTEL [2], the main
ISP in cameroon.

The breaks  are impacting countries or more specifically networks with
low interconnections. Once again, it's a hard reminder to expand your
peering portfolio guys :)

1.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/fibre/503508-slow-internet-speeds-in-south-africa-break-in-undersea-cables.html

2. https://twitter.com/Camtelonline/status/1688582980183220224/photo/1