[afnog] VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Fri May 26 11:50:57 EAT 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 11:29, Bruce Zamaere wrote:

config looks fine.. sure you don't want 802.1q encapsulation on that
trunk port?

> At the moment I have to host on ports 1 and 24 with IPs on their
> respective subnets. I can only ping the switch when the vlan in
> question is brought up! Also from the switch I can't ping the host
> or the interface unless the vlan is brought up. So if I can only
> have one vlan up at a time how should my config / setup change?

well, that is what *should* happen. the "up" interface is in a
particular VLAN and should not be able to ping an IP in another VLAN
- well unless you have a router/gateway/.. in the trunk port in all
VLANs.

What you should do, is put such a router/gateway/.. in port 24, and
assign it IP addresses in each VLAN. Then from the hosts in each VLAN
try pinging whatever you put in port 24

--
patrick