[afnog] Adding a (D-Link) switch to my distribution (Linksys) router/switch [was: VLANs on Cisco Catalyst 2950 ]

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Wed May 31 12:03:00 EAT 2006

Please do not reply to a certain message (on any list) if you are
creating a new unrelated "thread" or posting a new problem.

Create a new message, give it an appropriate subject and mail it
to the list address.

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 11:28, Gabriel Oladapo-Sotonwa wrote:
>   The internet link/cable from the vsat came directly through
> the modem to a 4 port linksys router/switch and another cable
> took the access to a D-Link switch at the ground floor that is
> serving all systems on the ground and first floor.
>
>   I now want to take another link/cable from that same linksys
> at the ground floor to a D-link switch on the second floor so
> as to serve the systems connected to the switch but the link
> is always blinking. I then brought an ordinary cable from the
> ground floor switch to a workstation on the third floor and it
> is browsing but when you put the same cable on the switch, it
> will be unstable. what do i do? people on the 2nd and 3rd
> floors need to browse urgently.

To link two switches you may need a crossed ethernet cable[1] OR
if your switch has an "uplink" port (sometimes with a button to
tell the switch that you've cascaded a switch), then you can use
a straight ethernet cable into that port (and press the button
if need be). Usually it's the last port on the switch.

--
patrick

[1] most new switches can figure it out for themselves with no
extra help