Re: DNS

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 08:01:12PM +0300, ksemat at eahd.or.ug wrote:
> I have done what you said i.e strace -p pid > filename 2>&1 and It still
> doesn't finish the output also I have noticed that when I turned on
> recursion it hangs almost within 3 minutes of restarting it however with
> recursion off it behaves. It takes more than a 1 hour to hang with
> recursion off and it always recovers.

Well, that's not exactly "behaving".

Have you tried checking for corrupted files:

# rpm -V bind
# rpm -V kernel

will (on a Red Hat system) verify all the files in the package and indicate
which have different MD5 checksums etc. But its output can't be trusted if
you have been hacked.

Bind is normally a very solid piece of software, and furthermore your system
shouldn't be hanging in the middle of strace output.

My suspicions are:
1. some sort of hardware problem
2. corruption and/or hacking
3. some sort of resource limitation (e.g. another process on the machine is
using up all the kernel memory)

Rebuilding the system from scratch would fix it if it's (2), but not (1).

Do you not have _anything_ out-of-the-ordinary in /var/log/messages? No
reports of errors on the hard drive, anything like that?

Resources: check the output of 'uptime', 'free', and 'ulimit'

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org
To send a requet to majordomo, e-mail majordomo at afnog.org and put

This list is mantained by owner-afnog at afnog.org