Re: IOS downgrade!

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 03:14:29PM -0300, Benson Omollo wrote:
> > > Please let me know...how to get the fastethernet to be seen?.
> > > It can't see the fastethernet.
> >
> > Did you buy the FE module with the 2600, or did you take it out of another
> > router? There are some 36xx modules which cannot be used in 26xx routers.
>
> Sure I think the model was picked from 3600...

Then there is your problem. See
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/2600/prodlit/2600_ds.htm
for a list of modules you can use.

The CPU inside a 2600 is nowhere near powerful enough to handle 100M anyway.

> Do you have details about setting up a nameserver on freebsd? I have bind
> version 8 and I don't know how to set it up all other services work fine
> and maybe on how to backup mail for a busy isp around 1000 active users in
> three months?.

It's standard BIND, so you ought to get hold of a copy of "Managing DNS and
BIND" or suchlike.

To set up a caching nameserver: In /etc/rc.conf:

named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind -g bind"        # optional, but improves security by
                                     # not running as root

Then to create the localhost zonefile:
# cd /etc/namedb
# sh make-localhost

Then you need to start named by hand (to save you having to reboot the box)
# /usr/sbin/named -u bind -g bind

That's it. No ISP I know of backs up their customer's mail (but they do use
resilient disk subsystems)

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org