Re: OSPF -- DR

[I hope the members of this list don't mind me forwarding these messages -
but apart from the fact that I'm not a private consultancy, there may be
other people on this list who can offer additional advice or experience]

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:51:07PM +0300, Bill Sangiwa wrote:
> i'm trying to setup a DR (desingated router)
> on my ospf cloud to be the main router to the internet, unfortunately each
> time i boot the main router another router pick up, how do i set up so
> that the main router remain DR, i remember u have to do something on cost
> setting but can't recall exactly what.

In order to influence the election of which machine is Designated Router,
you have to configure the router Priority value. If I remember rightly, it
is the router with the highest Priority which wins. I'm not sure what the
default value is on a Cisco, but it can take values 0-255, and I think a
value of 0 means "never be DR" (at least it does for gated's OSPF
implementation)

On a network which already has a DR, it will never relinquish its status as
DR even if another router comes along with a higher priority. If you wish to
force a re-election, you will need to temporarily disconnect both the DR and
the BDR, or turn off OSPF on those boxes and then turn it back on again.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org