Re: talk facility

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 06:44:26PM +0300, Sematimba Noah K wrote:
> > The qestion is in talk facility in bsdi 4.0 and i get an error that target machine does not recognize us.
> >
> > How can it be solved???
> >
> > Dan
> If it is on the same machine make sure that you're using talk
> user at localhost when you're responding. This should get rid of the problem.
> I remember as if this is caused by talk doing an ident lookup or something
> like that when you try to initiate a session. I may be wrong but appending
> user at localhost in my answer to the request instead of just user or
> user at domain worked for me.

Yep, in the past I've had problems with 'talk' if you don't have DNS right.

Make sure that the IP address of each interface on your box has matching
reverse and forward DNS. Also, it may be necessary to check that your
hostname (as reported by 'uname -n') is a fully-qualified domain name, which
resolves to the IP address of the main interface on your box.

When I used to use dialup, I seem to remember I had to put a temporary entry
in /etc/hosts, mapping my hostname to my dynamic IP address, for 'talk' to
work.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org