Re: POP Server

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 10:23:17AM +0200, Antonio Godinho wrote:
> > Does qpopper run as a daemon? does qmail-pop3d run as a
> > daemon as well? and which do you recommend better?

I have only run these from inetd and ucspi-tcp which is another inetd
replacement by djb. I have not had any problems. However you could look at
the home pages for these packages to see whether they can work in
standalone mode.

> Note that there are much more serious bottlenecks you will come across in a
> POP server than inetd. The biggest one in my opinion is if people keep their
> mail on the server, and it's all in a single mailbox file. A mailbox file
> has to be read all the way from one end to the other every time the user
> connects; if they have 10MB of mail on the server, and are checking every 30
> seconds, then this becomes a big resource drain.

which is why I recommended qmail-pop3d which supports Maildir type
delivery this effectively avoids  this type of bottleneck. I have heard of
support for Maildir in qpopper but I have now spent some time without
using it and thus cannot speak authoritatively about whether this is true
or not.

Noah.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org