Re: Constant reboots on FreeBSD

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:05:42AM +0200, Antonio Godinho wrote:
> At first I thought it had something to do with squid but later
> discovered that even removing squid the problem still happens.
> Could this be a problem with NAT or firewall?

Try looking at past bug reports on www.freebsd.org, since you are running a
very old FreeBSD (4.4 is most recent)

> Many times when the machine reboots squid fails to load and as a
> result all proxy services are down.

That should be easier to pin down. As well as log files have a look at
"dmesg" or simply watching the bootup process at the console.

> Does anyone have any ideas? I canīt find anything in the logs or
> any core dumps.

I am no expert at getting core dumps but you might want to check:

$ sysctl -a | grep core
kern.sugid_coredump: 0     --> coredumps for setuid/setgid programs
kern.coredump: 1           --> other coredumps (I guess)
kern.corefile: %N.core

(this had me foxed with Exim for a while, until I realised that it was
setuid, although I don't think your squid will be running setuid)

Otherwise, are your various PCs very different, i.e. from different vendors,
different motherboards etc? If not there may be some common hardware
problem.

B.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org