Re: Which database?

Hi,

I am no expert on the subject but have had a little experience......

We were recently visiting the Brazilian Internet Steering committee where
they operate the .br tld (note that this includes almost 1m records and is
at least 7x the size of .co.za) . I was pleased to see that this is all done
on a BSD machine. Clearly the database is of crucial importance to them.

They currently use Solid (by Solidtech) which is one that I have always been
interested in because of its very small footprint and consequent speed (and
reasonable cost coming from Finland). It performs well for them but they now
have needs for multi-threading. Their current tests indicate that mySQL
should perform as good as PostGreSQL or Oracle.

My personal recommendation is to stick with mySQL, it has served me very
well over a number of years and saved tens of thousands of dollars in
licensing fees.

hope this helps,

Alan

       Alan Levin