Re: HOW MUCH IS THAT IPV4 IN THE WINDOW? Re: "I can still see it feasible to have all secretariat services funded by ICANN's budget."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista at dot-god.com>

> i'm curious - what would you value a class c portable IPv4 to be?  i'm
> looking for book value or the sales value and a monthly rental rate.

By "class c", can we assume you mean a /24....in other words, a 24-bit prefix
for a 32-bit address field with 8 bits left to number a couple hundred servers (virtual or physical)...

Values do not necessarily scale, because "routability" is also a factor. An owner
of a "class c" may have to carefully select an ISP that will allow them to announce
that prefix and/or arrange routing as part of the aggregate that contains the prefix.
Companies (so-called RIRs and others) who sell/lease address space, generally
make no claims about the "routability".

Much of this is like land, location, location, location can mean everything. Also,
having 100 acres in one aggregate, is different from having 100 one acre plots.

It used to be that /16s were sold (traded) etc. for $50,000. That placed the value
of a /8 at around $12,000,000. In theory, a "class c" would be worth about $200.
If you consider a /8 to now be worth $1.5 billion ($89 per address), then a "class c"
would be worth about $23,000.

No matter what, some of the companies listed here, have an obligation to certify **today**
to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that their accounting is correct. They
have to list their assets on their Balance Sheets properly in order to do that.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org