Re: exim router configuration

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.00/doc/html/spec.html

smtp_accept_max
Type:  integer
Default:  20

This option specifies the maximum number of simultaneous incoming SMTP calls
that Exim will accept. It applies only to the listening daemon; there is no
control (in Exim) when incoming SMTP is being handled by inetd. If the value
is set to zero, no limit is applied. However, it is required to be non-zero
if either smtp_accept_max_per_host or smtp_accept_queue is set. See also
smtp_accept_reserve.

smtp_accept_max_per_connection
Type:  integer
Default:  1000

The value of this option limits the number of messages that Exim is prepared
to accept over a single SMTP connection. After the limit is reached, a 421
response is given to subsequent MAIL commands. This limit is a safety
precaution against a client that goes mad (incidents of this type have been
seen).

smtp_accept_max_per_host
Type:  string, expanded
Default:  unset

This option restricts the number of simultaneous IP connections from a
single host (strictly, from a single IP address) to the Exim daemon. The
option is expanded, to enable different limits to be applied to different
hosts by reference to $sender_host_address. Once the limit is reached,
additional connection attempts from the same host are rejected with error
code 421. The default value of zero imposes no limit. If this option is set,
it is required that smtp_accept_max be non-zero.

Warning: When setting this option you should not use any expansion
constructions that take an appreciable amount of time. The expansion and
test happen in the main daemon loop, in order to reject additional
connections without forking additional processes (otherwise a
denial-of-service attack could cause a vast number or processes to be
created). While the daemon is doing this processing, it cannot accept any
other incoming connections.