Re: Exim and right permissions for execution of a perl script

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 18:59, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:12:02PM +0300, Patrick J Okui wrote:
> > I tried setting the permissions of all the required files like so
> >
> > chmod -R g+rw /home/pokui/db_suite
> > chgrp -R exim /home/pokui/db_suite
>
> in order to look inside the directory, exim will need '+x' permission.
>
> Having said that:

<snip>

yep.. the lack of the +x was a typho... (nothing a good night's sleep
and a glass of milk couldn't cure :-) )... the sig13 was because the
script would die early when it tried to access any directory below
db_suite!

BTW, the scripts are supposed to do basic DNS stuff... and the e-mail is
an encrypted set of commands created by an on line form on a web server.
My question now is, is making the named.conf file as well as my namedb
directory writable by the group (or user) exim the best way of doing
this... or should I run the scripts suid named (in which case I should
use /usr/bin/suidperl and it should be suid root?- or named??)??

--
Patrick J Okui
Systems Administrator