7 Kampala Rd,
Tel:   +256-41-258143
Fax:   +256-41-258144
E-mail: mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Web:     www.africaonline.co.ug

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-afnog at afnog.org [mailto:owner-afnog at afnog.org]On Behalf Of
Gregory M Begumisa
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 4:22 PM
To: Mark Tinka
Cc: afnog at afnog.org
Subject: RE: cisco router config scenario

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Mark Tinka wrote:

> If I understand your requirement correctly, you want to provide mail and
web
> services to the public, whilst using private IPs. This is simple, it
entails
> you creating a redirect rule on your Cisco router, so packets with a
> destination port of 25 and 80, are redirected by your router to a server
> residing inside of your LAN.
>
> You can use this command to redirect TCP traffic into your LAN server:
>
> ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.x 25 172.16.133.x 25 extendable
> ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.x 80 172.16.133.x 80 extendable

For some weird reason the above doesn't seem to work.  When I do a
traceroute from a server external to either of ISP1 and ISP2, i get to
through to the external ip of the router - not the ip address above
that I am using for static nat. I thought that this traceroute would stop
at the ip address above.  Does this offer any clues to what the problem
might be?

All the sources I have checked suggest that the above commands should work
for my situation.  Is this the confirmatory test that something is wrong
with the config of ISP 2's NAT router?

> Your ISP2, however, will have to ensure that the one-to-one mapping of
your
> two public IPs to your 172.16.133.x private IPs is done properly, and
works
> transparently. I would recommend, that since one-to-one mapping is meant
> create the effect of a real public IP situation, why not have them route
the
> public IPs directly to your service?

Good question.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org