Re: Mail Server Problem

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 03:42:45PM -0000, M. K. Agbessitse wrote:
> My mail server problem is now solved. We have used the option of 1k
> (1024bytes), which according to the last mail received from you implies that
> we have 8 times original format.

Well, kind of :-) What you have is all your blocks at 1K, instead of blocks
of 8K (which can be broken into 1K fragments for small files). You will use
up some more space in tracking them. But it lets you have more files.

> # df -k
> Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/dsk/c0t11d0s2   15683444 14030051 1496559    91%    /home
> #
>
> And I still have more nbfree now.
> # fstyp -v /dev/dsk/c0t11d0s2 | head -20 | grep nbfree
> nbfree  172405  ndir    43819   nifree  14689593        nffree  272754
> Broken Pipe

I don't actually understand this. You have 172405 blocks free (that's only
172M if they are 1K blocks) but 272754 fragments.

What does fstyp show for bsize (block size), fsize (fragment size) and frag
(fragments per block)?

The number of free inodes (14 million) is huge. Did you increase that as
well? I'm not sure how big an inode is under Solaris, but if it were 100
bytes then that would be 1.4GB of space just taken up with inodes which are
not being used. You want the number of inodes to be big enough that you
don't run out of them (each file and directory takes an inode, and a Maildir
is 4 directories so that's 4 inodes for the Maildir plus 1 per message),
without it being so huge that you waste large amounts of space.

Anyway, I'm glad it is getting better than it was...

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org