Re: Interpreting FreeBSD 'vmstat' output

> bash-2.05a# muse -k
> Active:        28656 kB
> Inactive:     777980 kB
> Wired:        139156 kB
> Reserved:       1664 kB
> Cache:         16684 kB
> Buffer:       114496 kB
>
> Total:       1028392 kB
> Free:          65916 kB

Actually this is not a problem like I thought it was. I wrote a perl script
to allocate a few hundred MB of RAM; it took it out of the 'inactive' pool,
and returned it to the 'free' pool afterwards. So now I have:

bash-2.05a# muse -k
Active:        29376 kB
Inactive:     433936 kB
Wired:        139236 kB
Reserved:       1664 kB
Cache:         32748 kB
Buffer:       114496 kB

Total:       1028392 kB
Free:         393096 kB

It would still be interesting to know what the real difference is between
'inactive' and 'free'...

Cheers,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org