De : Mark Tinka [mailto:mtinka at africaonline.co.ug]
Envoyé : vendredi 21 mars 2003 06:50
À : Eric stevance; afnog at afnog.org
Objet : RE: VSAT Access Providers

Well, the downlink bandwidth isn't really shared, but separated.

DVB is a multicast service, just like each DStv subscriber tunes their satellite receiver to the same frequency, and picks up the same transmission broadcast on that frequency. DVB subscribers will tune their DVB receivers to the provider-specified frequency.

While they will all be in the same multicast group, their streams of data are separated from each other by the provider's DVB encapsulator, using two methods:

o A PID [Programme Identification]
o MAC address

The PID is equivalent to a DLCI on frame relay technology. The MAC address is the Burned-In-Address [BIA] of the DVB card installed in your DVB receiver. The provider then configures their DVB encapsulator to route all traffic encapsulated with PID xx to MAC address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx. Your DVB receiver will then receive this traffic, along with other multicast traffic [since multicast is just an intelligent form of broadcast], but will only de-encapsulate datagrams whose headers bear the PID and the MAC address for your circuit.

This is sort of the same way you get several channels on the same satellite downlink stream. Each channel could have a separate PID, on the same frequency.

Information still comes down at 45Mbps for each subscriber, so there is no oversubscription to satellite bandwidth. Even so, additional transponders can be acquired to increase capacity. The providers implement several other security techniques to ensure MAC addresses are not spoofed. It's a pretty safe and secure WAN connection method.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer
Africa Online Uganda