RE: Dedicated dial up configuration

Well, that should be no problem. An AS5300 should do the job for you just
fine.

I am assuming that you have already installed the circuit from the telco.
You don't say where you are from, so I am not sure whether you use E-1 or
T-1 ISDN type; so I will default to E-1.

The configuration of an AS5300 is not very different from an ordinary Cisco
router. The IOS commands are the same. Here's a sample configuration you can
work with:

conf t
 aaa new-model
 aaa authentication ppp default if-needed group radius
 aaa authorization network default group radius if-authenticated
 aaa accounting network default start-stop group radius
 aaa session-id common

 isdn switch-type primary-net5

 controller e1 0
  clock source line primary
  pri-group timeslots 1-31
  description PRI From Telco

 int s0:15
  no ip address
  encap ppp
  isdn switch-type primary-net5
  isdn incoming-voice modem

 int fa0
  ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

 int group-async 1
  ip unnumbered fa0
  encap ppp
  async mode dedicated
  peer default ip address pool dhcp-pool
  ppp auth pap
  group-range 33 65

 ip local pool dhcp-pool 192.168.0.50 192.168.0.100

 line 33 65
  no flush-at-activation
  modem inout
  autoselect during-login
  autoselect ppp

There, that should get you up and running. Of course, your IP addressing may
be different, as well as your routing, but you get the idea.

The first thing to do is to verify that you have the Layer 1, 2 and 3 from
your telco after they terminate the line at your AS5300. Use the command "sh
isdn status" to do this. You should see something like:

Layer 1
 ACTIVE

Layer 2
 MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED

I am guessing you already have MICA modems inside your chassis. My example
assumes they are taking up the asynchronous lines 33 to 65, but yours may be
different, and you only need to replace it with what you have.

Also, if you are using MICA modems, you will need to ensure you have the
MICA portware software installed. The portware software controls the
functionality of the modems/DSPs. Usually, you should have a line like this
one in your configuration:

spe 2/0 2/3
 firmware location bootflash:mica-modem-pw.2.x.x.x.bin

This basically tells your IOS that the modems can be found in slot 2, ports
0 to 3 [4 DSPs], and the firmware to operate them is located in the flash
memory at that filename.

If there's anything you need explained, do let me know.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer
Africa Online Uganda