RE: BGP over satellite link - update!!

Well, this could work, if be the case, however, the box that would sit on
the client side of the network is only providing a one-way SCPC satellite
connection to the remote provider. All return traffic coming from the remote
provider to the client would be over a DVB circuit [another interesting
technology yet experienced in Africa].

So, what you have is say a private /30 between the box at the client [B1]
and the box at the remote provider [B2]. This network is basically a way for
B1 to get to B2. The chances of B2 connecting to B1 over this /30 network is
about 0%. So, you will typically only have uplink [blue] traffic going
through B1 to the remote provider. All downlink [green] traffic will come in
via the DVB - this downlink traffic also includes BGP updates/packets from
the remote provider to the client.

So, we can assume B1 provides a simplex circuit to the remote provider. CX
on the remote provider's network that needs to access the client over the
satellite link, would come down through the client's DVB. From the remote
provider's perspective, the client's network /24, /23, /20 e.t.c is routed
via their DVB encapsulator. If anyone in the remote provider's network, or
any other Internetwork for that matter, needs to access the client's
netblock, the remote provider knows to route it via their DVB encapsulator,
right down the client's DVB router. So, B2 doesn't "see" that return
traffic, and neither does B1. This would be the traffic flow:

		. Sat .
	     .	 .
-->R1-->B1		  B2-->R2------->Internet request ----------->

				CX

<--R1<--DVB Router        DVB Encapsulator<--------Internet/Remote Network
response
     		     .	.
                  .    .
                    Sat

As you can see, it's a pretty "rounded" flow of traffic. At no time will
traffic return on B2 or B1. The only possibility for that to occur would be
if the remote provider wanted to access B1 via the private /30 network. But
even since this is a simplex link from client to remote provider, that may
not happen. However, the remote provider can access B1 using it's ethernet
address [part of the client's routable netblock]; as soon as they do this,
their packets will be routed to their DVB encapsulator, down to the DVB
router and onto the ethernet segment. The client's netblock is routed via
the DVB encapsulator, not B2.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer