RE: Router with bandwidth management

Hello Brian,

I agree that it is very nice for ISPs to provide additional queuing
features to give the best performance with TCP, but it is not the standard.

For most end users, the standard and basis of most contracts is a serial
modem that is hard limited (by the physical properties of the link) to a
certain max speed.  Giving the "burst" speeds and queuing features that
improve their connection, will also discourage them from paying for a
higher speed contract.  Of course, many ISPs offer the 'bursting' as a form
of competition to get customers to choose their service.

My whole point is that it is not required for ISPs to take this into
consideration -- though it is nice for the customer.

Of course the MikroTik offers bursting and queueing also -- except for on
simple PPPoE rate limit settings (it is possible to put queuing rate
settings also with an extra configuration).

John
www.mikrotik.com

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org