Re: SAT-3 / WASC

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:36:38PM -0700, S Woodside wrote:
> Here's a breakdown of the end traceroute from Europe, N.A., Australia
> to the site. Note that the jump from BT's concert.net delay of 100 ms
> to telkom where it's 274 ms delay. Only 175 ms increase - that's not a
> satellite hop! The speed of light in fibre is about 200 000 000 m/s and
>
> the SAT-3 is about 15 000 000 m long so that about 75 ms lost just to
> the speed of light. I suppose the other 100 ms comes from the repeaters
>
> or something.

Traceroute measures a round-trip delay: the total time for there and back.
(Or did you already double the SAT-3 length to take account of that?)

The other thing to consider if you see an odd-sized step in latency is
assymetric routing, e.g. perhaps fibre one way and satellite back the other.
If there's a looking-glass at the destination that can be helpful.

Cheers,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org