From: Paul [mailto:pademmy at yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 1:36 PM
To: mtinka at africaonline.co.ug
Subject: RE: technical help

hi mark,

when I type ps -ax | grep bind is reply 2327 pts/4   s  0:00 grep bind

what of if I change my named.conf to the below stuff?

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};
zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "localhost";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "127.0.0";
};

will it be of help?

the ip of the machine to be configured as DNS srver is 64.110.88.4 and the gateway is 64.110.88.1 and the dns IP is 64.110.88.4 which is a /28 out of my /25 block of IP address. butwhen I type the host name the system during installation took the pry dns to be 64.110.88.1 which is to be the gateway, hope this won't cause me any problem during configuration?

Do I need to do any changes in the resovle.conf file?

thanks.

Mark Tinka <mtinka at africaonline.co.ug> wrote:
Paul, you then have BIND 9 installed.

I personally have very little experience with BIND 9. All  my BIND work is with BIND 8. The last time I fiddled with BIND 9, it only wanted to run as root, and not the user named; but that's a long time ago.

You need to find a way to start the BIND process. But first, see if it is running. I am not sure what process name it runs under on Redhat, but you could try one of these commands:

ps -ax | grep named, or ps -ax | grep bind

If nothing comes up, try to start it. Locate the BIND binary using the whereis command. You may be looking for a file called named, or bind, or something like that. You could also load the manpages to read about the file distribution of BIND 9 on your system. Once you locate the file, and start the BIND process, you should be able to start resolving Internet addresses, as long as your /etc/named.conf file is intact.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNA
Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda