Re: Sqwebmail with vpopmail maildir/vchkpw authentication

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 03:40:48AM -0700, Paul wrote:
>    Pls can anyone help out on how to configured my DNS using BIND 9
>    redhat linux ver. 7.2

How far have you got? What have you done so far, and what problem have you
encountered?

>    And do I need to do any changes in the named.conf and resolve.conf
>    files to make the dns work on my linux box.?

/etc/resolv.conf is the *resolver* configuration: that is, it says which
nameserver your Linux box sends the request to when a process running on the
box itself wants to do a query (such as when you login using ssh and then
type 'ping xyz.com'). If you are running a caching nameserver on your local
box then you can point it there:

  domain foo.com
  nameserver 127.0.0.1      # Yourself
  nameserver w.x.y.z        # Point to another caching nameserver as backup
                            # (e.g. for when your named is not running)

named.conf configures your nameserver as:
  - caching or non-caching
  - authoritative (master or slave) for certain domains you configure

If you don't change it, then your nameserver will be a caching nameserver
and not authoritative for any zones. It's then suitable for clients to point
to when they need a local DNS cache.

Regards,

Brian.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org