Re: Nigeria's High-Speed Cable -- A Well-Kept Secret? (fwd)

IIRC, it is currently something like 20 Gbps, up to 120 Gbps capacity
is possible.

"This network consists of a core backbone with various diversions
radiating out to other countries. The system is designed to support
four wavelengths at 2.5Gbit/s, connecting all the concerned countries
in the Western coast of Africa (refer to map) and five wavelengths at
10Gbit/s between Portugal and South Africa. The first connection
responds to regional telecom needs for both voice and data while the
second one implements a high speed link between Europe and Africa. It
highlights the advantages of submarine networks regarding flexibility,
the rapid turnaround time of the implementation of the project and the
ability to provide a large, upgradable bandwidth. Furthermore, it can
play the role of restoration for other submarine systems around Africa,
thanks to the various interconnections between them. "
     http://nww.alcatel.at/at/presse/archiv/newsarchiv2002/content/01823/

So what's the PHY, the MAC, would someone who is knowledgeable about
these things explain how it works?

simon

--
www.simonwoodside.com -- 99% Devil, 1% Angel