Re: [afnog] Spoofing

Dialer0 is not a physical interface, so it can't really have a state in the sense that a physical interface does. However, it spoofs (pretends to be) an interface, for the purpose of routing and so forth, and the only useul type of interface to pretend to be is one with an "up" state, since a "down" interface wouldn't have any effect upon the operation of the router.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Mikisa <rmikisa at mail.one2netmail.co.ug>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:43:27
To:"afnog at afnog.org" <afnog at afnog.org>
Subject: [afnog] Spoofing

Hi all,
That is the output I get from my router, when i do a show interface. Does
anybody know what spoofing means.

kasesecob#show int d0
Dialer0 is up (spoofing), line protocol is up (spoofing)
  Hardware is Unknown
  Internet address is 169.254.0.8/24
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
  DTR is pulsed for 1 seconds on reset
  Last input never, output never, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 01:10:08
  Input queue: 1/75/0 (size/max/drops); Total output drops: 0
  Queueing strategy: weighted fair
  Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
     Conversations  0/0/16 (active/max active/max total)
     Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
     575 packets input, 14906 bytes
     5398 packets output, 335192 bytes

--
Cheers
Richard

One way to make your old car run better is to look up the price of a
new model.

To send a message to this list, e-mail afnog at afnog.org

This list is maintained by owner-afnog at afnog.org

                         -Bill

Please excuse the brevity of this message; I typed it on my pager. I could be more loquacious, but then I'd crash my car.