RE: [afnog] VLAN setup with linux

charlie ateenyi wrote:
> hi mark,
> yeah , u got my question right, i want to implement VLANs with a
> linux box like cisco switches do, if possible thanx

Well then that may be slightly complicated. At a minimum, you need 2
NICs/ports in your box. I don't know if making a general purpose PC a switch
is feasible, but you could try. The greatest ideas are always the weirdest,
or is it the other way round :-)?

Alternatively, you could try working a skinny version of Linux to run on a
managed switch. You end up getting your results. Linux powers the switch.

All in all, it should quite an interesting task for you. Keep us appraised.
I'm intrigued.

Regards,

Mark Tinka - CCNP
Network Engineer, Africa Online Uganda

This is the Africa Network Operators' Group(AfNOG)
technical discussion list.
The AfNOG website is: <http://www.afnog.org>