[afnog] Junos Upgrade

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 18 14:26:52 UTC 2012

On Monday, June 18, 2012 04:16:08 PM ibtisam jamal wrote:

> *WARNING: This installation will not succeed.
> WARNING: The boot device is less than 256M.
> WARNING: A hardware upgrade is required.

Remember, from last week, I told you that you need a 1GB
compact flash drive for Junos 9 or later. This wasn't
because Junos 9 was more than 256MB in size, but rather
Juniper foresaw where Junos was getting chubby.

Like I mentioned, you can install Junos 10.4 on a 256MB
compact flash drive on an M7i, but it's highly
unrecommended. That said, it looks like your flash drive is
smaller than 256MB yet.

Suggest buying a 1GB compact flash drive, installing that in
the RE and trying again.

One more thing:

> SR02> request system software add validate
> /var/tmp/jinstall-10.0R4.7-export-signed.tgz

Don't install the "Export" version of Junos, it doesn't have
the Crypto package, which means you'll be stuck with Telnet
instead of SSH.