[afnog] Router Interface Problems

Chris Wilson chris+afnog at aptivate.org
Thu Nov 8 19:10:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, JC Cockburn wrote:

> i have recently encountered a problem with my router (Cisco 3700
> series). Actually the first router (same) i was using suddenly couldn't
> pass traffic (there was no internet) only to find out that when i
> traceroute, traffic stuck on the inter interface (fa0/1).

What exactly do you mean by "stuck"? Did you have a routing loop, or did
the traceroute just disappear after that point?

> Now i have backed up the configs and restore them into a new router.

Are they current configs or old backups?

> This was working fine, but i came to realize that browsing is extremely
> slow, and i can't even video conference because there are terribly
> packet loss. Now i find out that there is high latency (600-800ms) from
> the router serial interface to the modem (i'm using satellite). I logged
> into the router, and it is strange stat i can't even ping the s0/0 of
> the router.

If you can't ping the router from the router itself, that implies a
misconfiguration, such as not having configured the interface with the
right IP address. Also check your routing tables for other routes to the
same address or subnet.

> i can ping fa0/0 and the computers inside the network (clients).
>
> What could be the problem?  Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Is it possible that the router is configured with the wrong IP address on
its public interface (satellite side), or it has a route to that IP
through another interface, so it doesn't answer ARP requests by the
satellite modem? Then the modem might have to wait until it sees a packet
from the router before it can learn the router's MAC address and send the
queued, backlogged incoming traffic to the router.

Also check the IP addresses configured on the other interfaces and the ARP
modes of all interfaces, as the same thing might be happening when
internal hosts try to send traffic out. And try pinging the router and
the satellite modem from local hosts, and pinging the satellite modem from
the router.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.