[afnog] resolved - ? - Re: TR: [Excom] Cannot access networks in Mali from Indian NKN, AWS us-east-1d zone, others

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Thu Aug 1 14:09:26 UTC 2013

Matthew,
xenophon, all,

We sent or escalated this to our colleague Alioune in Mali on SOTELMA and as you can see
here they indicate or claim that it is now resolved.

Could you please confirm improvements?

Regards,

Paulos
=======================================
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD
http://www.registrar.mw
President: AFTLD http://www.aftld.org

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:09:55 +0000, Dr. Alioune Badara TRAORE wrote

https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/html-forms-controller/contactus/ec2
> -email-limit-rdns-request.  Unfortunately, while reverse DNS has been
> configured correctly, the limits removed, and the EIP delisted from various
> dynamic-IP blacklists, our instance is now unable to communicate with anything
> in the network block ML-ALIOUNE-20001030 (217.64.96.0/20), BGP4 AS21271 - and
> vice versa.
>
> Likewise, in November 2012 we moved our service desk web app from Washington,
>  DC, to our private data center in Bamako, Mali.  Our ISP for this data center
> is Sotelma and has IP addresses in the 217.64.96.0/20 network.  Since then our
> staff in India have been unable to access the service desk.  Further testing
> shows this to be the same problem as with our EC2 instance - hosts within the
> Indian National Knowledge Network
> (NKN) also cannot communicate with anything in the 217.64.96.0/20 network.
>
> Note that we are able to access sites in Mali that connect to the Internet via
> other Malian ISPs - Afribone and Orange.  Furthermore, this connectivity
> problem only affects some of our networks.  For example, we have no problems
> connecting to the ML-ALIOUNE-20001030 netblock from Time Warner Cable or
> Cincinnati Bell (Fuse) in Cincinnati, Ohio; from the National Institutes of
> Health in Washington, DC; or from our research sites in Uganda.  Additional
> testing using Hurricane Electric's looking glass shows similar results - some
> traceroutes complete successfully while others don't.
>
> I have posted the traceroutes at
> https://web.irtnog.org/~xenophon/pastebin/traceroutes-to-sotelma.zip.
>
> At this point we have contacted Sotelma in Mali regarding this issue - and
> haven't gotten a response from their technical support.  However, the problem
> may lie with Sonatel (Sotelma's upstream ISP) or France Telecom (Sonatel's
> upstream ISP).  If possible, we would like help escalating this issue within
> Sotelma or help contacting Sonatel or France Telecom.
>
> Best wishes,
> Matthew
>
> --
> I FIGHT FOR THE USERS

> Malawi SDNP Webmail: http://www.sdnp.org.mw Access your Malawi SDNP e-mail
> from anywhere in the world.
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by KeNIC
>
> Kenya Network Information Center (KENIC)

Paulos
Dr Paulos Nyirenda
Malawi SDNP Coodinator