[afnog] .TZ DS records in root zone

Heinrich Strauss heinrich at hstrauss.co.za
Sat Feb 9 10:40:30 UTC 2013

Hi, Boney.

In a properly configured infrastructure, it is now more difficult (read:
impossible, in most cases) to fake DNS entries under .tz or other
signed-zones.

It helps calm things with respect to compromised certificate issuers, as
we've seen in the last few years, but is not a "silver-bullet." It also
allows for things like putting SSH FingerPrints in the DNS (SSHFP
records) or validating certificate signatures from the DNS (TLSA
records). This helps to verify authenticity of the server you're
connecting to in a security-conscious environment.

As with all security measures, though, it is one link in a large chain,
though.

Regards,
Strauss